Abbeville mobile home burns; electrician rescues dog in burning home

No one was injured in a mobile home fire Wednesday in Abbeville.
Nelson Rideaux, an electrician, was talking outside with the owner of the mobile home when the two smelled something burning.
Rideaux, who was working in a house next door to the mobile home, looked over at the mobile home and saw smoke coming from it.
The two rushed over to the smoked filled mobile home located on South Guegnon Street. He also knew the owner of the mobile home had a small dog inside. He asked the owner, who is from New Orleans, for her keys and went unlock the door.
“When I opened the door, I heard woosh,” he said. “I saw the dog at the door and hurried and picked it up.”
The owner of the mobile home and Rideaux backed away from the mobile home and saw it get engulfed in fire.
“I’m glad no one was hurt,” he said Thursday morning looking at the mobile home. “I am here this morning to return her keys. I never gave it back to her after I unlocked the door.”
The Abbeville Fire Department is investigating what started the fire.
As of deadline on Thursday, the fire department did not release the name of the person who owned the mobile.


Our website requires visitors to log in to view the best local news from Vermilion Parish. Not yet a subscriber? Subscribe today!

The Vermilion Today

Abbeville Meridional

318 N. Main St.
Abbeville, LA 70510
Phone: 337-893-4223
Fax: 337-898-9022

The Kaplan Herald

219 North Cushing Avenue
Kaplan, LA 70548

The Gueydan Journal

311 Main Street
Gueydan, LA 70542

Follow Us