Fewer people married in Vermilion Parish than a year ago
While the wedding industry is booming around the United States, there looks to be a downturn in the wedding industry in Vermilion Parish.
There were 302 marriage licenses issued in 2019 in the Vermilion Parish Clerk of Court’s Office.
That averages out to be around six weddings a week over a 52 week period.
In 2018, there were 331 marriage licenses issued by the clerk of court’s office. There were 29 less marriage licenses issued in 2019 than in 2018.
According to the census bureau, the average age for people getting married in Louisiana is 29 years old for men and 27 for women.
Here are some interesting national stats from 2019 dealing with marriage.
• 2.3 million couples wed every year in the US. That breaks down to nearly 6,200 weddings a day
The money behind the marriage
• $72 billion per year is spent on weddings
• the average wedding budget is $20,000
• $1,016 is the average cost of wedding rings for the bride and groom
• traditionally, the father of the bride would pay for everything. Today, however, the bride and groom themselves pay for the wedding about 30 percent of the time; the bride’s parents pay about 17 percent of the time. As for the rest of the time, costs are covered by different sources -- the bride and groom and one or both sets of parents, according to surveys by Bride’s magazine.
Timing of weddings
June is the most popular month for weddings, then August, followed by September and October
Here’s a monthly breakdown:
January - 4.7%
February - 7.0%
Where do weddings take place?
• 80 percent of weddings are performed in churches or synagogues
•99 percent of newlyweds take a honeymoon
the average couple will spend three times more on their honeymoon than a regular vacation
40 percent of honeymooners will travel within the United States, about 60 percent will travel to a foreign country
honeymoons usually last 7 to 9 days
the most popular destinations are Las Vegas, Hawaii, the Caribbean, and Jamaica
35 percent of brides and grooms have a valid passport
Other Interesting Info
the top wedding city in the world is Istanbul, Turkey with 166,000 for the year
Las Vegas, Nevada is in second place with 114,000 weddings.